Wednesday, January 11, 2012

rationalism

One of the main reasons so many people reject things they can't see or "prove", such as Magic, "mythological" creatures, Santa Claus, angels, devils, and most importantly God, is because it isn't "rational". I am against being rational!! Why? To explain my stand against rationalism, you have to go back to when it was "invented" (although some form of it has existed since Lucifer's fall)..

In France, as Louis XIV's reign came to a close, the so called Age of Enlightenment started. It was, more aptly put, a new Dark Age. 
–Abeka: World History and Cultures
"The Enlightenment was a movement that attempted to apply unaided human philosophy to all areas of man's life in order to establish a new social order."
Basically, men were trying to over use their own reasoning. God gave us logic as a tool, a reference, not something to govern our lives with! He never meant us to use it as a rulebook, overruling everything, including His Word! Here is the definition of Rationalism:

 "Rationalism: the idea that man's reason is the sole criterion for truth." 
–Abeka: World History and Cultures


And it isn't! It might help us find Truth, but Truth is has always been and will always be Truth, our reasoning cannot change Truth. It has been in existence before the dawn of Time, while our minds have only lived a few years! 

To believe in rationalism is basically a pride problem. We think our minds can decipher what is true and what isn't. But our minds can't! The Bible is the only true way we can find this out.
Susan: I was just trying to be logical!          
Peter: No you weren't, you were trying to be right!
–The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (2003)

                     
That's why when people say God isn't real, because it isn't rational, I just laugh. Because what do they know? Our minds, our reasoning, cannot determine that.

For example, lets say, my reason is a bit off, and I believe, logically believe now, that you aren't real. Does that make you not real? No!! That just makes me stupid.

Our reasoning cannot determine whether God is real, or even whether Santa and centaurs and the Easter bunny are real. I chose to believe in them. That doesn't make me stupid or naive, and it doesn't make them real or not. If they are real, my believing won't make them any more real, and your unbelieving (if you don't) won't make them any less real!

For what do we have in life other than Faith? We need to stand by the things that are important, whether they are logical or not.
“One word, Ma'am,” he said, coming back from the fire; limping, because of the pain. "One word. All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one thing more to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things – trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan [Jesus] himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's [Jesus'} side even if there isn't any Aslan [Jesus] to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian [Christian] as I can even if there isn't any Narnia [heaven].”
–The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis

the creation of Narnia




Thanks for reading! Have a lovely day!

xoxo<3muahh

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this to a point. I agree that people are wrong about not believing in God because there's no proof, or it's improbable. Because they're wrong. But I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say that human reason is totally bad. I think that we are clever enough not to believe in things like spirits, and ghosts, and once we've learned that something is proven, we shouldn't say that we refuse to believe it.
    your evil twin sista,
    ellie <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyy evil twin
    I don't think human reason is wrong!! But when we use it in a place it shouldn't be used, such as faith, it is bad. And rationalism is completely WRONG!! Our logic has nothing to do with to do with whether something is real or not, that's what I was trying to say...
    btw, ghosts ARE real, they just aren't dead people, they are demons... I know this cuz one of my friends aunt had a demon appear in the form of her dead little boy, and the lady told the demon to leave in the name of Jesus, and it turned in to a black ghosty creature and disappeared.... freaky!
    Xo
    -hk(:

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding music to my day! (: