Friday, December 16, 2011

Narnia quotes

Here's some of my fave quotes from Narnia xD Enjoy!!!! :)

(From Jack Lewis)
I thought I saw how stories of this kind could steal past a certain inhibition which had paralysed much of my own religion in childhood. Why did one find it so hard to feel as one was told one ought to feel about God or about the sufferings of Christ? I thought the chief reason was that one was told one ought to. An obligation to feel can freeze feelings....The whole subject was associated with lowered voices, almost as if it were something medical. But supposing that by casting all these things into an imaginary world, stripping them for their stained-glass and Sunday school associations, one could make them for the first time appear in appear in their real potency? Could one not thus steal past those watchful dragons? I thought one could.
Of Other Worlds: Essays and Stories


Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight
At the sound of his roar, sorrows with be no more
When he bares his teeth, winter meets it's death
And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - Chapter 7


"Is–quite safe?"
[...]
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver [...] "Who said anything about safe? 'Courese he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - Chapter 7


Once a King or Queen in Narnia, always a King or Queen in Narnia."
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe


There once was a boy named Eustace Scrubb, and he almost deserved it. He didn't call his Father and Mother "Father" and "Mother", but Harold and Alberta. They [his family] were very up-to-date and advanced people. They were vegetarians, non-smokers, and tee-totallers, and wore a special kind of underclothes. In their house was very little furniture and and very little clothes on beds and the windows were always open.
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


He liked books if they were books of information and had pictures of grain elevators or of fat foreign children doing excercises in model schools.
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


"Who is Aslan? Do you know him?"
"Well–he knows me," said Edmund.
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


"Aslan!" said lucy almost a little reproachfully. "Don't make fun of me. As if anything I could do would make you visible!"
"It did," said Aslan. "Do you think I would not obey my own rules?"
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


"Please, Aslan," said Lucy, "what do you call soon?"
"I call all times soon," said Aslan.
[...]
"Come," said the Magician, "All times may be soon to Aslan, but in my home, all hungry times are one o'clock."
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


"You can say what you like, Reepicheep. There are some things no man can face"
"It is, then, my good fortune not to be a man," replied Reepicheep with a very stiff bow.
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


"In our world," said Eustace, "a star is a flaming ball of gas."

"Even in your world, my son, that is not what a star is, but what it is made of."
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


You would not be calling to me unless I was calling to you," said the Lion.
The Silver Chair


It is the stupidest of children who are the most childest and the stupidest grown-ups that are the most grow-up.
The Silver Chair


Aravis also had many quarrels (and, I'm afraid, even fights) with Cor, but they always made it up again: so that years later, when they were grown up, they were so used to quarrelling and making it up again that they go married so as to go on doing it more conveniently.
The Horse and His Boy


The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often get succeed.
The Magician's Nephew


All get what they want; they do not always like it.
The Magician's Nephew


...A noble friend is the best gift and a noble enemy is the next best.
The Last Battle


“Son,” said Aslan to the Cabby. “I have known you long. Do you know me?”
The Magician’s Nephew – Chapter 11


“My son, my son,” said Aslan. “I know. Grief is great. Only you and I in this land know that yet. Let us be good to one another.”
The Magician’s Nephew – Chapter 12



“I'm sure Aslan would have, if you'd asked him,” said Fledge.
“Wouldn't he know without being asked?” said Polly.
“I've no doubt he would,” said the Horse (still with his mouth full). “But I've a sort of idea he likes to be asked.”
The Magician’s Nephew – Chapter 12



“Hand it to me and kneel, Son of Adam,” said Aslan. And when Peter had done so he struck him with the flat of the blade and said, “Rise up, Sir Peter Wolf's-Bane. And, whatever happens, never forget to wipe your sword.”
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – Chapter 12



“I am sad and lonely. Lay your hands on my mane so that I can feel you are there and let us walk like that.”
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – Chapter 14



"Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own."
"Who are you?" asked Shasta.
"Myself," said the Voice, very deep and low so that the earth shook: and again "Myself", loud and clear and gay: and then the third time "Myself", whispered so softly you could hardly hear it, and yet it seemed to come from all round you as if the leaves rustled with it.
The Horse and His Boy – Chapter 11



Then Hwin, though shaking all over, gave a strange little neigh, and trotted across to the Lion.
“Please,” she said, “you're so beautiful. You may eat me if you like. I'd sooner be eaten by you than fed by anyone else.”
“Dearest daughter,” said Aslan, planting a lion's kiss on her twitching, velvet nose, “I knew you would not be long in coming to me. Joy shall be yours.”
[...]
“Aslan,” said Bree in a shaken voice, “I'm afraid I must be rather a fool.”
“Happy the Horse who knows that while he is still young. Or the Human either…”
The Horse and His Boy – Chapter 14



“It was I who wounded you,” said Aslan. “I am the only lion you met in all your journeyings. Do you know why I tore you?”
“No, sir.”
“The scratches on your back, tear for tear, throb for throb, blood for blood, were equal to the stripes laid on the back of your stepmother's slave because of the drugged sleep you cast upon her. You needed to know what it felt like.”
The Horse and His Boy – Chapter 14



“I wouldn't have felt safe with Bacchus and all his wild girls if we'd met them without Aslan.”
“I should think not,” said Lucy.
Prince Caspian – Chapter 11



“Welcome, Prince,” said Aslan. “Do you feel yourself sufficient to take up the Kingship of Narnia?”
“I - I don't think I do, Sir,” said Caspian. “I'm only a kid.”
“Good,” said Aslan. “If you had felt yourself sufficient, it would have been a proof that you were not…”
Prince Caspian – Chapter 15



“I was wishing that I came of a more honourable lineage.”
“You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve,” said Aslan. “And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth. Be content.”
Prince Caspian – Chapter 15



“Oh, Aslan,” said Lucy. “Will you tell us how to get into your country from our world?”
“I shall be telling you all the time,” said Aslan. “But I will not tell you how long or short the way will be; only that it lies across a river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder…”
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader – Chapter 16



“I am,” said Aslan. “But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader – Chapter 16



“Are you not thirsty?” said the Lion.
“I'm dying of thirst,” said Jill.
“Then drink,” said the Lion.
“May I - could I - would you mind going away while I do?” said Jill.
The Lion answered this only by a look and a very low growl. And as Jill gazed at its motionless bulk, she realized that she might as well have asked the whole mountain to move aside for her convenience.
The delicious rippling noise of the stream was driving her nearly frantic.
“Will you promise not to - do anything to me, if I do come?” said Jill.
“I make no promise,” said the Lion.
Jill was so thirsty now that, without noticing it, she had come a step nearer.
“Do you eat girls?” she said.
“I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms,” said the Lion. It didn't say this as if it were boasting, nor as if it were sorry, nor as if it were angry. It just said it.
"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream
then."
"There is no other stream," said the Lion.
This Silver Chair – Chapter 2



“One word, Ma'am,” he said, coming back from the fire; limping, because of the pain. "One word. All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one thing more to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things – trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a playworld which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”
The Silver Chair – Chapter 12



“Sir,” said Caspian, “I've always wanted to have just one glimpse of their world. Is that wrong?”
“You cannot want wrong things any more, now that you have died, my son,” said Aslan.
The Silver Chair – Chapter 16




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding music to my day! (: